Thursday, July 14, 2011

eyes to see

For the first time in my adult life, I am typing without the aid of corrective lenses.  I've had glasses or contacts since the 5th grade (that would be 24 years!), and without them I could only see very poorly.  Street signs - even the biggest ones - were big fuzzy squares of light without words.  Without glasses, I could relate somewhat with the blind man in the New Testament who said that people looked like trees walking around (see Mark 8:24). 

But today, I had LASIK eye surgery.  It was Danny's idea to invest some of the equity from our house in my eyes, and when I discovered that the best LASIK surgeon in the region gave a 50% discount to missionaries how could I say no?!  As expected, things are looking a little hazy right now, but by morning my eyesight should be good as new.
I was delighted that the doctor prayed with me before surgery.  I can't imagine being an eye doctor and not believing in an intelligent creator God.  The eye is an incredibly complex and amazing organ!  May I use my newly restored sight for His glory.

"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things from your law." Psalm 119:18

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! We look forward to seeing you all soon. We're leaving CA tomorrow, heading to WA, then back to Wheaton by the first. :o) Continue enjoying summer (and studying for German, I imagine)!

    ReplyDelete