Saturday, June 22, 2013

five . . . and loving him all the way

Our baby is 5 today. Incredible.

Easton's first ride on the tag-a-long bike with Dad!
It's hard to imagine a more delightful kid than Easton. He's so utterly adorable, so funny and eager to learn. He's a joy to parent and so full of love.

He's been thinking long and hard about what he wants for his birthday. After much consideration, he settled on a BIG HUG. :) We've been practicing all week so we can get it right.

A friend of mine from seminary is embarking on a journey as a foster parent. She blogged this week about the challenges of learning to love and let go. Her words are priceless. And she reminded me that none of us know how many days we'll have with our children. They are on loan to us from God. We have to chose between holding back
and loving them "all the way," no matter what the future holds.

One of Emma's classmates underwent a 3-hour surgery on her skull yesterday afternoon. On Tuesday the girls were playing softball together. No issues. Today Addy is hospitalized and recovering from major surgery. We just never know what will come our way. We just have to love them while we can.

Easton started out in a sleeping bag on the floor,
but this is where he ended up.
As I wrote this last night Easton was upstairs, giggling with Emma in her room, where he had a "sleepover." I don't think they talked long. The last thing I heard was ...

Easton: I need my "birthday sleep"!
Emma: I need my "beauty sleep." Goodnight, birthday boy!
Easton: Goodnight, beauty girl!




Happy Birthday, Easton! I'm so thankful I get to be your mom!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Carmen & Danny,

    Your blog has been a blessing to me for years. I just love your kids!They are so cute and intelligent! How blessed they are to have you as parents.
    I have laughed, rejoiced and been deeply touched by your pictures, christmas movie, and what you write about your family & friends.
    I am just like an old grand mom, & for years I wanted to drop you a note. I finally did it! I wanted to wish Easton a happy birthday. Love, Vera Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vera,
    What a treat to hear from you! I'm delighted that you've enjoyed my blog. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I treasure the memory of getting to know you at New Life and for your prayers and encouragement over the years.
    Blessings!
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete