Saturday, June 23, 2018

Making Summer Work

This week I published a short piece over at The Well, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship's blog for Women in the Academy and Profession. A very simple trick is working wonders for my summer schedule. You can read about it there.

The basic idea is that I write until noon and do other stuff after that.

There are exceptions, of course, like last week's dentist appointment, faculty interview, and farewell party that ate into my mornings. But by refusing to let my to-do list eclipse my writing time and scheduling everything possible in the afternoons, I'm enjoying great momentum. As the halfway point of the summer quickly approaches, I'm happy to say that the first draft of my next major writing project is also about halfway done.

I'm thankful for the good advice of other writers that helped me craft my own plan.
  • Write 500 words first thing every day. Save editing for later in the day. (My daily goal is 750).
  • Write in the "gaps." Don't wait for long stretches of time. Seize the moment. Thanks to Scrivener, I'm discovering that I can easily write in 10-minute segments.
  • Set personal goals to keep you motivated. I have a chart listing all of my current projects (including blog posts here and elsewhere, journal articles, conference papers, and books), and I've mapped out where I'd like to be on each project by the end of each week of the summer. When I have a free hour, I can dive into the next project. 
What simple step can you take to ensure that your most important tasks get done this summer?

3 comments:

  1. You amaze me Carmen in the BEST and most inspiring ways. Grateful for you and always always cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my goals aren't writing goals, they pertain to my business. So, I use a quarterly planner that breaks it down by month and then by week. Then I have extra weekly pages to track what I need to get done for my clients.

    ReplyDelete