Sunday, February 21, 2010

seminary or cemetary?

I was warned by a friend after high school that I was taking a big risk in heading off to Bible college.  He thought it would only be a matter of time before I lost my faith altogether.  "There's a reason," he told me gravely, "that seminaries are often called 'cemetaries'."  Multnomah proved to be a spiritually vibrant community.  After 4 years I was more in love with Jesus and more fascinated by His Word than ever before.

Now seminary.  And some may wonder if such academic study slowly sucks the life out of faith.  Isn't exegesis like pulling the wings off of a butterfly?  Once you have it all in pieces your flying days are over!  But for me it has been quite the opposite.  The more I study the more I am captivated by Jesus.  The more I read the more I want to read the Word.  Seminary has breathed new life into my worship, has enlarged my vision of God, and has shown me that I am only on the very edge of a vast country yet to be explored.  I can think of nothing I would rather do than spend the rest of my life traversing the hills and valleys of His kingdom, drinking deeply from its streams and eating its fruit.  And while I would be willing to do it alone, if that was my only choice, my deep desire is to take many others along on this journey.  We weren't meant to walk it alone!  Come and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment