Wednesday, May 11, 2011

precious moments

Easton is approaching his 3rd birthday, and just when we think he couldn't get any cuter, he surprises us.  Today he told me at lunch, "I can't eat anymore, because I'm wearing short sleeves."  Totally logical.

Earlier this morning he asked, "Is my birthday tomorrow?" 
"No," I told him. "But it's soon.  Your birthday is in one month!"
He was delighted.  "You mean, in 20 minutes??!"

Over the weekend we went camping at a gorgeous place in the Carolina Mountains with a crystal clear stream that tumbled over huge boulders.  It was amazing.  Easton and I had our own, lazy, mother-son walk discovering the wonders of nature.  First we spotted a field mouse.  He was itty-bitty, and didn't seem to mind us at all!  We sat and watched him from 2 feet away, enraptured, for at least 5 minutes, maybe 10. Easton did not want to leave.  When the mouse gave up on the acorn and disappeared around a tree trunk we ambled down to the stream and watched some fishermen catch wriggling fish.  As we peeked over the edge of the bank into the water, I asked Easton, "What do you think we'll see in there?"
Quite seriously, he responded, "Maybe an octopus!" (No doubt this had something to do with our recent trip to the zoo.)

When I was done giggling, I told him, "When I was a little girl, my daddy took me fishing and I caught a fish!"
Easton replied, "When I was a little girl, I caught a fish, too!"

After a few minutes of soaking in the beauty he said, "This is incredible."

And it was.
Especially the part about being his mom.

2 comments:

  1. Too cute, Carmen! I love that you are such a wonderful mom, and God has given you such great kids. Don't worry about the cuteness wearing off either; each stage is wonderful--really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easton's sweet innocence is so delightful!!

    ReplyDelete