Tuesday, June 7, 2011

just one little green crayon

This morning I pulled a load of laundry out of the dryer.  It was supposed to be white.  Instead it was white with green spots all over.  Ugh.

It's remarkable, really, how just one little green crayon can ruin everything.  A white shirt with green spots here and there is not a "pretty good" white shirt.  It's worthless -- ready for the rag pile, or (at best) the drawer of "play clothes."  Khaki pants don't look any more "khaki" with green smudges.

Easton (almost 3): "I'm sorry I ruined Daddy's pants with the green crayon, Mom."
Me: "I forgive you, Easton."
Easton: "I forgive you, too, Mom."

And I needed forgiveness.  Not for losing my temper over the ruined laundry.  By the grace of God this one didn't throw me.  I was thinking, though, about how I've been grumpy and stressed and anxious over the past week.  Like a green crayon in a hot dryer, my attitude has rubbed off on the rest of the family.  I've tried not to be stressed, but that hasn't been effective.  What I needed most was time alone (with God!) to think, read, pray and process what we're going through.  It has made all the difference. 

"Yes, my soul, find rest in God; (literally: Surely, before God, be silent, O my soul)
my hope comes from him. (because from him [is] my hope)
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge."
Psalm 62:5-8 (NIV 2011)

When all around us is chaos, we can choose to find rest in God.  Then we will not be shaken.

4 comments:

  1. I guess that's one less box of clothes to pack:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all of the boxes being packed. We had dinner last night with Dr. Fairbairn and his family, and your family came up. I gushed about how proud Morgan and I are of you guys, and the journey that the Lord is taking you on. Have a great move to Wheaton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmen! You can do it! I was praying for you and the family this morning. I know there's a ton on your plate, but the Lord will carry you through. I pray that you will find peaceful times of quiet with him, even in this last week and a half of craziness before the move. See you so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are ways to get melted crayon out of clothes if you want to take the time to do it! Of course, time is what you have so little of! But, don't lose heart....it can be done! Hope you are all finding "pockets of peace" in the midst of this chaos!!

    ReplyDelete