Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Author Interview: Holly Beers, "A Week in the Life of a Greco-Roman Woman"


Holly Beers, Westmost College,
author of A Week in the Life of 
a Greco-Roman Woman
(IVP)

Holly Beers is the author of the recently released A Week in the Life of a Greco-Roman Woman (IVP). Holly's book joins a growing number of works of historical fiction written by New Testament scholars. My copy is still in the mail on its way to me, but I have heard excellent things about it and can't wait to dive in. New Testament professor Nijay Gupta of Portland Seminary says, 
"I highly recommend Holly Beers’ new A Week in the life of a Greco-Roman Woman. Beers knows her ancient social context, but she crafts a nice story to bring it all to life. This is something I am going to try to use in the classroom the first chance I get!"
Holly, please tell us a bit about yourself -- where and what you teach, where you studied, what your areas of interest and expertise are. 

I'm from a small town in Minnesota and did my undergraduate (North Central University, Minneapolis) and master's (Bethel Seminary, St. Paul) work close to home. My PhD is in New Testament from London School of Theology. I teach at Westmont College in Santa Barbara, California, where the weather is beautiful but, to my sorrow, it does not snow at Christmas. My main specialties include Luke-Acts (my favorite is Acts, of course -- best book in the Bible!), the use of the Old Testament in the New Testament, Second Temple Judaism (the world of Jesus and Paul!), and New Testament ecclesiology (or: how Jesus' first followers "did church"). A growing area of interest and expertise for me is Pentecostal hermeneutics. I was raised Pentecostal and still consider that my tradition, and I am increasingly interested in how the global Pentecostal church is shaping biblical interpretation. 

Image result for holly beers week in the life of a"How did you get connected to this project?
I met with Dan Reid from IVP (who's now retired) several years ago when he visited Westmont. He asked if I knew of the series, and I did, as I'd read Ben Witherington's A Week in the Life of Corinth. He said that they were looking for someone to write a volume on a woman's life in the first-century world. That was the beginning of this book, as I started to imagine who the woman might be and what her life would look like. 


How long did it take you to write it?

Good question. I had planned on two years, but then I was in a Vespa accident; those injuries (concussion and broken wrist) delayed me a bit. I had a draft done in about three years, I think.


What was the most challenging aspect to figure out?

I had never written a novel before, so that was rough at first. I've read probably thousands of novels in my lifetime, because that's what I do for fun, but I'd never written one. I got into the habit of praying every time I sat down to write. I'd say something like: "Spirit of God, help me. You know I've never written a novel. Write with me and through me today." Honestly, I feel like the book is really co-authored; it's me and the Holy Spirit! 

What was one of the most exciting discoveries you made as you researched?

It was exciting to learn that women's lives were probably much more varied in the ancient world than people often assume today. They were not living cloistered lives behind closed doors; that would only have been an option for the very wealthy. Most women would have had to be out and about as a practical necessity. They would have gone to the market, interacted with a variety of people, and even worked in family trades and businesses. 

Without spoiling the story, can you tell us a bit about the Greco-Roman woman who is the main character for your novel? What is her name? What is she like? What challenges does she encounter?

My main character's name is Anthia. She is strong, practical, and thoughtful. She encounters the challenges of everyday life in her world, which include mourning the death of a close friend; keeping Artemis, the patron goddess of Ephesus, happy; helping to ensure that her family has something to eat every day; supporting her extended family; managing her husband's unpredictable temperament; raising her young son; and managing her pregnancy. 

Who do you envision reading this book?

Carmen Imes and Holly Beers at SBL in 
San Diego, 2019

I've always wanted to write a book that my mom could read. She loves the Bible and cares deeply about faith, but doesn't have formal theological training (besides having me in her life). This book is really for those who want to learn more about the world of the Bible in an accessible way, and I envision those people as being both inside and outside Christian faith. I also hope scholars read it, and that it shapes their vision of the New Testament world and the way that they communicate it to their students. It would also make a good text for a classroom. 

What are you working on next?

I have a couple of projects in the works. The first is an investigation of the use of the Old Testament in some of Paul's letters. First I'm working in Colossians, then I'll head to Ephesians. I'll be writing a commentary on Colossians and/or Ephesians for a new New Testament commentary series that is geared toward serving Christians who are charismatic or Pentecostal (broadly defined), including people outside of North America and Europe. I've always wanted my scholarship to serve the church, and this opportunity is one that still surprises me and humbles me.

Thanks, Holly, for telling us about your work!

No comments:

Post a Comment