Wednesday, January 20, 2010

i had no idea ...

... that studying vocabulary for the GRE would help me with motherhood.  This week I was reading one of Beatrix Potter's stories to Emma, when one of my new 25-cent words nearly jumped off the page.  The flopsy bunnies discovered the soporific effects of lettuce, and it almost landed them in Mr. McGregor's stew!  In case you are as unenlightened as I was just 6 weeks ago (before I learned this most useful word), soporific  means 'sleep-inducing.'  (Think "turkey dinner" or "warm milk.")  The bunnies ate too much lettuce and it made them fall asleep so they were captured by Mr. McGregor.  Thankfully, they were rescued just in time.

If you want to learn other useful words such as this one, click on the 'Free Rice' icon below and to the right.  You'll be a smarter parent in no time! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that I clicked to read your blog. It is rare indeed to find someone else my age with a career in mommyhood who wants to read theology books. I must say I am envious of your ambition to go to school on top of it all. It has become a growing passion of mine but I am still praying about it. Thanks for your blog. I look forward to reading it and gaining insights.

    ReplyDelete